Seabuds Resources

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sharon Canney in LHR

Sharon Canny, ex-SFOSW & SEA commuter whom many of know, transferred to LHRSW about 6 months ago. I've been keeping in touch with her and wrote a few days ago asking her how it was going. She responded:


Thank-you so much for re-writing me.....I got the other one ages ago, but
just did not get back to you...

Here's the situation:
1. Frightfully expensive......I had my transfer in for 6 years and 6 years age
was a much better climate for being in Europe.The dollar is just pathetic
and sad and everyone is suffering.
2. There were 591,000 emigrants into the UK last year and have been every year
since 2004 when the boarders were opened by the ECU agreement. Making
clean, affordable housing very difficult to get. Flight attendants are paying
$800 and $900.00 for a room in a house.....in the UK I looked with another flight
attendant at places for $2000.00 for small 2 bedrooms way out. It cost $55.00
to commute on the bus alone. I think you can see me whining about the money
situation clearly.....
3. The base is all good, the flying is good and I finally got a place in Antwerp,Belgium
to round out my European living experience....I live in a 200 year old building
on the classic cobblestone street in the center on town. I take the tram to the
train, to the train, to the plane to Heathrow....easier than it sounds.
4. The green tax went on the zed fares from anything leaving Heathrow, a zed
fare, which should cost peanuts, is $117.00 round trip, Brussels/Heathrow/Brussels.
not good! For example Iberia airlines just canceled the reduced fare arrangement
with UAL, leaving lots of flight attendants who commute from Spain without a ride to
work.....very bad. The Paris FA's have to pay $140.00 for a round trip which should
cost $25-$35.00. And then they go on strike all the time.
5. Do you remember Jan Benbow, he is still here and is the supervisor to go to if you need anything.
Do you want me to say "hi" to anyone that you remember?
6. I am #3 in the base and #2 purser, all good, am flying the inaugural from LHR to
DEN at the end of the month....all good

so there is the good and the bad....I think you should be very happy with your European
experience because it has really changed a lot.I had lived in Europe before and it is changing so rapidly
because of immigration, it just does not feel the same. Treasure you memories!!! I remember you
talking about it being one of the best years of your career.

I also did not end up here with Natalie, my daughter. Two weeks after I got the transfer, she got into a college program
that she wanted to go to and did not come with me.She is happily at college and I really miss talking to her
the 3 or 4 times a day that we are used to....I also got not find a place for Pepper my beloved bullmastiff
to come to in the UK, no one would rent me a place with a dog.....I can have him in Antwerp, but I will probably come back to the USA before I do that. He is in Maine with my brother and I have been going up there....interesting place!

Anyway, that is the update....share it with anyone who knows me and we will talk one day!!!!!

Happy Easter, Sharon Canny